The following have been provided by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
Methods and Procedures for Testing Seed
- CFIA_ACIA-11330095-v1-M&P_2018 interim Edition_English
- Amendment Form for the Canadian Methods and Procedures for Testing Seed
- Proposals for 2019 M&P
- CFIA_ACIA-9425338-v2 Memo to industry partial ergot
- M&P Supplement - Soybean Seedling Evaluation
- Weed Seeds Order 2016
- Minimum List Part I Weed Seeds Order(2016)
- Other Weeds Minimum List-Part III
- CFIA_ACIA - 8725555- v1 - 2016 The Minimum List for Seed Identificationby Canadian Accredited Seed Analysts and Laboratories has been updated to correlate with the Weed Seed Order, 2016. Please see the following changes that were made: (Excel format)
- Amaranthusspp. exceptA. tuberculatus(Pigweed) - clarified thatAmaranthusspp. except A. tuberculatus are classified as an other weed andA. tuberculatusis classified as a Class 2, Primary noxious weed
- Berteroa incana (Hoary alyssum) - reclassified from Part III of the Minimum List to Part I (Class 2)
- Bromus japonicus (Japanese brome) - reclassified from Part III of the Minimum List to Part I (Class 3)
- Bromus secalinus(Cheat) - reclassified from Part III of the Minimum List to Part I (Class 3)
- Bromus tectorum(Downy brome) - reclassified from Part III of the Minimum List to Part I (Class 3)
- Camelinaspp. (False flax) - reclassified from Part I of the Minimum List to Part III
- Cichorium intybus(Chicory) - reclassified from Part I of the Minimum List to Part III
- Galium mollugo(False baby's breath) - reclassified from Part III of the Minimum List to Part I (Class 3)
- WSO and Idseed Presentation
- Accredited Seed Testing Laboratory Proficiency Monitoring Program effective July 1/2017
- Seed Laboratory Accreditation and Audit Protocol (SLAAP version 6.0) effective July 1/2017
- Candidate Guide Seed_Analyst Accreditation
- CSAAC Annual Meeting Riffle divider Excel worksheet.
- CSAAC Annual Meeting Riffle divider worksheet
- Annual Workshop riffle gamet verification validation
- Setaria Comparison
- CFIA Lolium Evaluation
- Quality Control for Reference Materials
- Proficiency Monitoring Sample Preparation
- Further Adventures in Seed Identification-The Clovers
- Reports and Technical Summaries for Lentil Germination Studies 2012 and 2013.
- Order form for seed reference collections
- REGAL Program
- Request for Seed Identification
SSTS provides free seed identification services to external clients such as seed testing laboratories, graders of seed establishment, growers, land owners, other governmental departments and general public. The free identification service is aimed to reduce the risk of the introduction of noxious weeds and invasive plants.
Although anyone can submit a seed identification request, SSTS will prioritize the requests from accredited/authorized laboratories in Canada. The identification service to these laboratories will be based on the principle of “first come, first serve”. In addition, the identification and verification of regulated species detected from testing samples in the Weed Seeds Order, Pests Regulated by Canada, and regulated species for export markets will be treated as the highest priority, i.e., “Rush” samples. Submissions labelled as priority or “Rush” by the submitter will not be considered above these.
When you request a seed ID, please complete the Request for Seed Identification form which is located on the CSAAC website:, or as attached form. Any requesting of returning of specimen shall provide mailing account in the form for covering the mailing cost.
Please note, a fee has been and will continue to be charged for verification of herbarium or specimens which will be used for research studies. The verification charge is based on the fee schedule that is posted on CFIA's external website, please refer to the link under "seed tests" in Table 1:A standard time is assigned for each type of species; e.g. providing the lowest charge for species that are under regulation such as the Weed Seeds Order. The charges for each species of a submitted specimen, not each seed, are as follows:
- Species in Weed Seeds Order (WSO) Class 1 to 3: $1.00 per specimen
- Species in the Minimum List of Species for Seed Identification by Canadian Accredited Seed Analysts and Laboratories (WSO Class 4-5, Part II and Part III): $3.75 per specimen
- All other species: $7.50 per specimen
Small charges (e.g less than $20) may be accumulated for invoicing. Invoices will be issued at least on an annual basis.
Seed identification and verification results will be emailed to the submitters and a new format of the ID report will be used starting in April 2017.
- Request for Seed Identification (PDF)
- Request for Seed Identification (XLS)
- Sample Identification Report
- CFIA Seeds Website
- CFIA Weed ID Fact Sheets